Children of Wrath, Like Literally

Once, there was this pastor visiting this church I used to attend in the early days of my university life. During his sermon, he made this statement: 'Children are sinful too!' At that point, I assumed that everybody there understood and agreed with the pastor. After all, everyone was guilty of rejecting the kingship of a God who had created this world, whether adult or child, and are under judgement for said rebellion; and this rebellion shows itself in many ways, but most of the time, it is about wanting ourselves to be the centre of the universe, whether it is in relationships with God, with other people, or even with the natural world around us. It was later that week, while I was talking to a girl from the same congregation about the sermon, where she told me in a very hurt tone, that she "couldn't believe that children were sinful". At that time I didn't say anything. I had no idea what children were like.

Today, almost four years down the road, with roughly the same amount of working experience with children, I think if I ever get the chance to relive that conversation, I would tell the girl that she obviously had never had to look after children for more than a quarter of an hour. In my three years with children even as young as six months, I have witnessed jealousy, rage, selfishness, self-righteousness, and manipulation. Although undeniably, they do have a great capacity for kind deeds, and the gift of a short memory for grievances, one can hardly say that they are the innocent, chubby angels from above. After all, like they say, we just only get better at hiding it when we grow up.

As I recount my experiences with children over the past three years, I am reminded of this article I read somewhere. Probably on the Gospel Coalition. Regardless, it was about Gospel centred parenting, where children need the Gospel as much as the adults. After all, do we not have a high priest who once was the infant in a manger, and the child at the temple? As much as he identifies with adult struggles with sin, he also identifies with the struggles of children with sin. In realising this, my heart is once again burdened with how I can share the good news of Jesus with these children, and I despair at the shortness of my arm. For how then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? Though the harvest is plentiful, the workers are few and overworked.

So, if you are thinking about areas of ministry you would like to help out with, let me encourage you to have children's ministry be one of them. No, it is and has never been limited to women only. In fact, the young boys would benefit lots from having a male figure setting an example. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: